Monday, March 30, 2009

Fireproof

Last week I read the "Fireproof" book. I also watched the movie the week before that and both are really good. I would suggest reading the book first though. But, my point about "Fireproof" is that there is a very good part that got me thinking. Here is the part from the book:

"How am I supposed to show love to someone over and over and over who constantly rejects me?"

His dad came to a halt at the solitary cross. He looked up, then leaned against the vertical beam as he studied his son through wire-rimmed glasses.

Caleb blinked against the sunlight.

"That's a good question," John said.

Caleb lifted his gaze to the cross, this ancient symbol of love and sacrifice, then let it come back to rest on his father. With the meeting of eyes, something flashed through Caleb's thoughts. "No." He hardened his jaw. "No, that is not what I'm doing."

The movie does a very good job depicting this scene. As soon as Caleb asks his father how he is supposed to love someone, the camera pans over to his father standing right next to the cross. It is saying "HELLO" what do you think this represents!?

This just got me thinking because it is true. God loves us unconditionally even after we continually reject him. I find that to be crazy, but in a good way. Someone loves me so much that they will love me even after I ignore them for so long. How many of us have that kind of patience? How many of us would stand by someone who continually rejected us? I mean in my own personal life I think I have failed to follow this example of love. In high school I tried to show someone that I truly cared about them, and every time it was thrown back in my face. The relationship ended badly and took over two years to somewhat mend. If I had followed this example of love, than the relationship would not have ended the way it did.

Not sure if any of this made sense, but just wanted to share my thoughts.


No comments:

Post a Comment